|Protect Yourself During Flu Season
|Article - Nutrition
Boosting the Immune System Naturally
When you are pregnant you need to be careful about remedies for a cold or flu. Many herbs are harmful during pregnancy or while nursing. Because of this, do your best to take care good care of yourself during the winter months to prevent getting sick - eat nutrient dense foods, get rest, reduce stress, and stay hydrated. If you do catch a cold or flu:
- Get plenty of rest. Rest rejuvenates the immune system better than any other method.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Eat well. Reduce sugars, which can deactivate the immune system for up to five hours. Increase your intake of nutrient-rich whole foods: vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts and legumes.
- Take a supplement that include immune system boosters, such as Vitamin A, C, and E, the B vitamins, zinc and selenium.
- If you come down with the flu, consider homeopathic remedies like Oscillococcinum, or visit a homeopath.
- See an acupuncturist. If you come down with a cold, seeing an acupuncturist promptly upon first symptoms can stop the flu in its tracks. If you?re susceptible to illness, schedule regular appointments throughout flu season.